Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A bit about me

My most active time in life was during my years in the Central West Outback QLD in the 1950s and 60s; and it is that time, those places and the many wondrous people I encountered, that inspire my writing.

Born in Wagga Wagga NSW on 1st October 1938, I am the youngest of seven kids. The family moved to Sydney in 1944. I remember the end of the war celebrations whilst living at Banksia in Sydney. We moved to Bondi in 1948/49 where I attended North Bondi Public, then Waverly College, then Wellington Street Tech school for my final years of edification. I had a good education, I just didn't learn much.

Early restless teenage years caused me to "Go West" and West ended up being Cunnamulla QLD where my first job was as a roust-about in a shearing shed. From four pound ten shilling a week, as a junior salesman in a menswear store in Sydney, to nineteen pound nineteen shillings, and keep ... it was a massive jump in lifestyle. With life on the land I got to follow my love of horses, and worked as a drover, stockman and contract musterer, as well as helping out with a windmill expert, driving tractors delving bore drains and a couple of rides in Rodeos for a bit of boyish fun.


After returning to Sydney (wish I hadn't) life became boring, mundane and, now after 50 years, remains the worst decision I ever made. My consolation is my fiction. I have a convoluted and active imagination, and I enjoy where my characters take me. 



In my later, more settled years, after I ridded myself of a woman, I have tried to be the "White Knight" in helping people that gave the impression they were not capable of  helping themselves in the more serious matters of life.






There is always one sucker that will put his hand up to help the ones that pretend they cannot help themsleves. This pastime never gave much satisfaction as many of the same people would not admit that they were being helped, or were helped, and preferred to let time go by before they told all and sundry that would listen, that they did it all by themselves.


But that is life, that is the way of the world, and I survive this attitude knowing that I did my best.


Everything, every different situation, has its interest, has its ability to educate, and has its place in life if you are one to move on without beleaguring the past.


I consider myself very fortunate in the fact that I have few very, but most reliable friends, and a few scattery characters in my head that all keep me in a space in the universe of the cyber world.



Peter Rake



Favorite writer:  John Steinbeck. Cannery row, Sweet Thursday, Of Mice and Men, The Red Pony, The Moon is blue and others.  Liked his satirical way of stating facts.
Favorite poet: Banjo Paterson. and of course, C.J Dennis who died the year I was  born.

No comments:

Post a Comment